POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: explanation of a blob bug : Re: explanation of a blob bug Server Time
9 Aug 2024 01:22:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: explanation of a blob bug
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 7 Sep 2000 21:13:04
Message: <39B83BD7.105FFC75@online.no>
"J. Grimbert" wrote:

> Someone recently post an image with an image with two broken blobs
> (I'm unable to see the thread).
>
> I think I have found the origin of the bug.
>
> In get_element_bounding_sphere from blob.c, if an element has
> any transformation, the bounding sphere is also transformed.
>
> ... 8< ...Snip !
>
> The bug nature is odd:
> With only rotate, it is ok
> With only scale (uniform or not), it is ok
> With a mix of uniform scale and rotate, it is ok
> With a mix of non-uniform scale and rotate, it MAY be ok or NOT, according to
> the parameters
> (mainly of the transformations)

Thank you very much Grimbert for looking into
this problem.

I too found that the defects appeared when doing
some combinations of non uniform scaling and
rotations.

(This problem has been BUGGING me some time now)

And to any programming TAG members (E.g. Chris ?):

Should this problem be discussed further in
poray.general or can this now be considered to
be a bug ?

Tor Olav
--
mailto:tor### [at] hotmailcom